The Benefits of Chanting a Mantra in Meditation
The Benefits of Using a Mantra In Meditation
What is a mantra? A mantra is a word and/or sentence spoken (or chanted) in meditation. More than just a repeated phrase, a mantra is often carefully chosen in alignment with the user's sought after benefits (whether physical, mental, or spiritual). It's not necessarily the chosen mantra that does the work - but the energy, intention, and vibration created as the meditator repeats the phrase.
How do mantras benefit meditation?
In meditation, the mind has a natural tendency to drift. To "reign in" this wandering of the mind, mantras offer a focal point. And so the process is simple - in meditation, whenever we notice the mind wandering, we simply repeat our mantra to bring ourselves back into the present. And as it's repeated again and again (chanted), it's the mantra's natural rhythm that makes it such a powerful gateway into the present moment.
Do I need to know the meaning of my mantra?
It's not essential. An ancient phrase with varied meaning(s) across multiple religions (including Hinduism and Buddhism), "Om" is the first phrase that comes to mind when most people think of a mantra. Let's use this as an example. For a beginner, knowing the meaning of "Om" is far less important than the "vibrations" it creates within the body.
That is, whether you know what it means or not, repeating "Om" creates an energetic vibratory framework which instills a natural sense of calmness, positivity, and more. Of course, if the meaning of a particular mantra is both known and "believed in," then this will magnify benefits across the board.
What are some potential mantra meditation benefits?• The rhythm & sound is thought to move energy throughout the body.
• Helps release feel good chemicals (like endorphins).
• Helps regulate (and slow) the heart rate.
• Works to enhance the brainwaves of meditation: alpha, theta, and delta.
• Lowers blood pressure.
• Relieves stress.
• Boosts immunity.
• Quiets mind chatter, fear.
• Boosts positive thinking.
• Reprograms the subconscious mind.
Is there a certain meditation style that works best when using a mantra?
We recommend "mindfulness meditation," which happens to be the most popular and most scientifically backed technique. Here is our highly detailed guide on how to practice mindfulness meditation.
What are some effective mantras?• I am full of light.
• "Ham-Sah" — Translation: "I that I am."
• I am kind to myself.
• "HU"— In Sufism, a highly sacred word meaning "God."
• I am my own healing power.
• I attract prosperity.
• "Om Mani Padme" — A Tibetan mantra with a very deep, very complex meaning.
• I am grateful for everything in my life.
• I am a magnet for all that is good.
• Aham-Prema — Translation: "I am divine love."
• "Om" or "Aum" — Multiple meanings across multiple religions. The most popular mantra!