Meditation exercises the brain in the same way an aerobics class exercises the body. The benefits for both are tangible and comparable. A complete fitness plan includes exercising the mind. A healthy body means little without a healthy mind.
Here are 7 ways meditation is excellent exercise for the brain:
1. A cardio workout strengthens the heart by increasing the heart rate. Therefore, the avid aerobic class attendee’s strong heart works less to pump the same amount of blood when the fit person is at rest. The brain works the same way. The meditative state strengthens the mind’s ability to focus and control its thoughts. When the person meditating comes out of the meditative state, the brain’s focus centers are strong and able to concentrate with less work.
2. During physical exercise, the body is put through an increasing amount of stress. A regular workout routine enables the body is do more because of the strength gained in previous workouts. A regular meditation practice builds the brain’s ability to focus session by session. The person who meditates often can build on previous sessions to achieve a meditative state more quickly or more deeply.
3. Physical exercise improves brain chemistry. Likewise, meditation improves brain chemistry. The most famous case of physical exercise helping out the brain is through the release of neurotransmitters called endorphins. The release creates what is known as the ‘runner’s high.’ Meditation releases the same neurotransmitters. It also enhances DHEA, GABA, serotonin, and melatonin. These substances help us sleep, stabilize our moods, and alleviate depression. And while physical exercise elevates our cortisol levels to unhealthy amounts. Meditation decreases them relieving some risk of bone loss, sugar imbalance, and chronic stress.
4. Self-confidence is gained through exercising the body and the brain. While physical exercise helps us achieve goals and gives us a better body image, meditation allows us to step away from our goals and body image worries. Ultimately, these moments away from our goals can assist in seeing new solutions to our problems and ways to achieve. During a meditative state, we remove our minds from their self-judging states and train them to go easy on us when it comes to criticizing our bodies. A positive body image is a huge gateway to better self esteem.
5. The word ‘aerobic’ means with oxygen. The increased flow of oxygen during exercise brings nutrients to the muscles and tissues. It also releases toxins in our exhalations. Meditation employs the same deep breathing techniques to increase the flow of oxygen throughout the body. The result is the same.
6. Most complete physical exercise programs include some form of stretching. This increased flexibility inhibits injury to our tendons and joints. Meditation stretches the mind protecting it from injury. It increases the gray matter in our brains. Gray matter is responsible for cognitive thought and decision making.
7. An athlete is trained to control his or her entire body during sport. The athlete relaxes the muscles that are not needed in a particular movement and tightens what is needed. Runners are told to relax their jaws and shoulders, so their energy is concentrated in their legs. This is the basis for the meditative state in the brain. The person meditating eases all thoughts. Perhaps a candle or mantra is used for the one who meditates to center on. Everything else is pushed aside. The brain learns to center its energy on important thoughts the same way the muscular system uses its energy wisely during sport.
Access the limitless benefits of meditation quickly, safely, and easily: Get started with EquiSync®
Learn about the limitless benefits of meditation, & how precisely designed brainwave technology (EquiSync) helps enable a deep, super-pleasurable, extremely beneficial state of meditation quickly, safely, & easily. Upgrade your life.
Learn how brainwave patterns affect your mental & emotional health, awareness, & mind state. See to what degree EquiSync beneficially influences your brainwave patterns, plus the basic differences between the 3 programs. Charts included.
Whole Brain Synchronization
Meditation works to balance your left & right brain hemispheres, resulting in what doctors call “whole brain synchronization”. In turn, you tap into a host of amazing benefits: more creativity, faster learning, better emotional health, & more. Upgrade everything. See charts.
Build 9 Key Brain Regions
Deep meditation upgrades 9 key brain regions. The result? So many benefits: great sleep, more happiness, deeper learning, better memory, higher IQ & EQ, less stress, more success, just to name a few. Change your brain, change your life.
With monumental health implications, meditation has been proven to naturally boost many of your body’s chemicals: GABA, Endorphins, Serotonin, & more, while lowering the stress hormone Cortisol. The benefits are staggering.
The power of your subconscious & unconscious mind are incredible. Here, we show you the vast benefits waiting under the surface, and how meditation is the best way to dive in, explore, and harness your deep mind. See detailed chart.
When it comes to what the human body “can” and “can’t” do, a revolution is well underway. From extending life, to conquering “unconquerable” diseases, to rewriting genetic code, meditation’s latest scientific findings are incredible. Become superhuman.
Why is meditation such a powerful anxiety reliever? From building neurotransmitters, to quieting mind chatter, to cooling the amygdala, this highly in-depth article discusses why anxiety is no match against meditation.
Known as the world’s happiest people, scientists love studying meditators’ magnificent brains. From transforming psychology, to fully rewiring thought, to massively upgrading physiology, here we discuss why meditation dominates depression.
Even if you get the recommended eight hours each night, you may not be sleeping deeply enough to fully recharge your battery. Here, we discuss why so many of us have insomnia, and why meditation is the best solution to sleeping like a log.
Why don’t meditators have addictions? From urge surfing, to masterfully dealing with stress, to uprooting deep seated emotions, to giving us a natural high, to unplugging naturally, here we discuss why meditation eradicates addiction.
Longevity, Life Extension
Not only do meditators often look decades younger than their actual age, but they also live much longer lives. Here, we take a look at the most fascinating age defying studies making news headlines, and how meditation freezes father time.
Why are meditators so often slim & trim? It’s because the weight loss benefits of meditation are nothing short of incredible. Here, from a variety of angles, we discuss how meditation can propel anyone to their ideal body.
Brain Power, Memory, Focus
Did you know that your brain power, intelligence, and memory can be dramatically upgraded, no matter who you are? Here, we discuss why scientists keep studying the marvelous meditating brain, and how you too can tap these awesome benefits.
Looking for a different meditation benefit? No problem. Here, we have compiled more than 141 benefits of meditation, with links to detailed articles. No stone went unturned.
Frequently Asked Questions
Learn more about EquiSync’s brainwave powered meditation system through our users most frequently asked questions (FAQ). Very helpful.
Happy EquiSync® users send us their testimonials every day, we have posted a small sample here. Just the tip of the iceberg!
All Formats Available: Audio Downloads (Phone / Tablet Compatible), Physical CDs, Combination Versions.